Cisco ASA 5500 Series adaptive security appliances are purpose-built solutions that combine best-in-class security and VPN services with an innovative, extensible services architecture. Designed as a core component of the Cisco Self-Defending Network, the Cisco ASA 5500 Series provides proactive threat defense that stops attacks before they spread through the network, controls network activity and application traffic, and delivers flexible VPN connectivity. The result is a powerful multifunction network security appliance family that provides the security breadth and depth for protecting home office, branch office, small and medium-sized business, and enterprise networks while reducing the overall deployment and operations costs and complexities associated with providing this new level of security.
The Cisco ASA 5500 Series delivers a powerful combination of multiple market-proven technologies in a single platform, making it operationally and economically feasible for organizations to deploy comprehensive security services to more locations. The comprehensive portfolio of services within the Cisco ASA 5500 Series enables customization for location-specific needs through tailored product editions for small to medium-sized businesses and for enterprises. These editions enable superior protection by providing the right services for the right location. Each edition combines a focused set of Cisco ASA 5500 Series services (such as firewall, SSL and IPsec VPN, IPS, and anti-X services) to meet the needs of specific environments within the enterprise network. By ensuring the security needs of each location are met, the overall network security posture is raised.
The Cisco ASA 5500 Series helps businesses more effectively and efficiently protect their networks while delivering exceptional investment protection through the following key elements:
- Market-proven security and VPN capabilities-Full-featured, high-performance firewall, intrusion prevention (IPS), anti-X, and Secure Sockets Layer/IP Security (SSL/IPsec) VPN technologies deliver robust application security, user- and application-based access control, worm and virus mitigation, malware protection, content filtering, and remote user/site connectivity.
- Extensible services architecture- Taking advantage of a modular services processing and policy framework offered by the Cisco ASA 5500 Series, businesses can apply specific security and network services on a per-traffic-flow basis, delivering highly granular policy controls and a wide range of protective services with streamlined traffic processing. The efficiencies of this policy framework, as well as software and hardware extensibility through user-installable security services modules (SSMs) and security services cards (SSCs), advance the evolution of existing services and the deployment of new services without requiring a platform replacement or performance compromise. With these capabilites, the Cisco ASA 5500 Series provides the foundation for highly customizable security policies and unprecedented services extensibility to help protect against the fast-evolving threat environment.
- Reduced deployment and operations costs-The multifunction Cisco ASA 5500 Series allows for platform, configuration, and management standardization, helping to decrease the costs of deployment and ongoing operations.
CISCO ASA 5505 ADAPTIVE SECURITY APPLIANCE
The Cisco ASA 5505 Adaptive Security Appliance is a next-generation, full-featured security appliance for small business, branch office, and enterprise teleworker environments that delivers high-performance firewall, SSL and IPsec VPN, and rich networking services in a modular, "plug-and-play" appliance. Using the integrated Web-based Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager, the Cisco ASA 5505 can be rapidly deployed and easily managed, enabling businesses to minimize operations costs. The Cisco ASA 5505 features a flexible 8-port 10/100 Fast Ethernet switch, whose ports can be dynamically grouped to create up to three separate VLANs for home, business, and Internet traffic for improved network segmentation and security. The Cisco ASA 5505 provides two Power over Ethernet (PoE) ports, enabling simplified deployment of Cisco IP phones with zero-touch secure voice over IP (VoIP) capabilities, and deployment of external wireless access points for extended network mobility. The Cisco ASA 5505 also provides significant expandability and investment protection through its modular design, similar to the rest of the Cisco ASA 5500 Series, offering both an external expansion slot and multiple USB ports that enable the addition of services in the future.
As business needs grow, customers can install a Security Plus upgrade license, enabling the Cisco ASA 5505 Adaptive Security Appliance to scale to support a higher connection capacity and a higher number of IPsec VPN users, add full DMZ support, and integrate into switched network environments through VLAN trunking support. Furthermore, this upgrade license maximizes business continuity by enabling support for redundant ISP connections and stateless Active/Standby high-availability services. This combination of market-leading security and VPN services, advanced networking features, flexible remote management capabilities, and future extensibility makes the Cisco ASA 5505 an excellent choice for businesses requiring a best-in-class small business, branch office, or enterprise teleworker security solution.
Cisco ASA 5505 Adaptive Security Appliance Platform Capabilities and Capacities
- Firewall throughput
- Up to 150 Mbps
- VPN throughput
- Up to 100 Mbps
- Concurrent sessions
- IPsec VPN peers
- 10; 25*
- SSL VPN peer license levels**
- 10 or 25
- 8-port Fast Ethernet switch with dynamic port grouping (including 2 PoE ports)
- Virtual interfaces (VLANs)
- 3 (no trunking support) / 20 (with trunking support)*
- High availability
- Not supported; stateless Active/Standby and redundant ISP support*
*Upgrade available with Cisco ASA 5505 Security Plus license
**Separately licensed feature; includes two with the base system
Standard warranty: n/a
- Firewall throughput